Decision Day

     Looking at the features of each of Premiere Pro and InDesign was very daunting at first. Premiere Pro’s different panels to work on specific parts of the film. In InDesign laying out the pictures on the template was tricky because it would crop the picture if you did not select the exact section. After practicing with each one in class I was able to familiarize myself with the basic features of each software. For example, there were different types of selection tools and mousses. One mouse could cut different layers or scenes out of the project. Premiere Pro allows the editor to have so much power with their film. Premier pro allows the editor to use many tools in order to engage the audience, but there are so many tools, that the editor must have the experience to use them correctly. The article “Our Place in the Universe: The Importance of Story and Storytelling in the Classroom”, discusses the importance of submerging yourself into the story. Instead of giving a bland film, Premiere Pro has features to let you control the littlest things, from the speed of the title sequence to the volume of the sound. The audience learns more from an engaging story than from just facts being thrown at them according to that article. InDesign has a slightly different challenge. Creating a magazine also must be designed in a way to engage the reader, but in modern-day society, it is growing increasingly hard to engage a reader. Different editors discuss the reasons why subscriptions to literary magazines are decreasing as time goes on in the article, “Survival of the fittest: four editors on the future of literary magazines”. One prominent editor, Speer Morgan, explains that literary magazines need to adapt to the online world in order to survive. This can be used to argue that all magazines that have a specialized audience need to have the ability to adapt. If I were to do a magazine, I would have to follow these tips and make it revolve around the visuals to please the audience. InDesign is easier to navigate, but it is harder to pick out specific details like in Premiere Pro. I am very weak in my designing skills, so I would rather choose the film as my final project, so I feel more in control. 

Comments