Magazine Cover Review
Initially, I thought that I would be less interested in magazines, but after seeing how magazines design their covers based on their target audience. If I were to choose the magazine for my portfolio project, I would want to push the stereotypes set in place. For example, in Vogue, they dressed the famous artist, Rhianna, in clothes traditionally made for men. Vice versa, in the GQ magazine that is targeted for men, they have their male models dressed in stereotypically more "feminine" clothes. Usually, each magazine brand has its traditional logo in bold, large lettering at the top of each of its covers to build brand loyalty, unless it is a special issue.
Most of the magazine’s revenue comes from the advertisements placed in their magazines. They place advertisements that please their target audience. The brand, Southern Living, promotes travel in the southern states but advertising tourist spots in those states. Also, in the magazine targeted towards middle-class mothers, Better Homes & Gardens, they advertise different deals on arts and crafts which keeps the target audience hooked.
There is an obvious difference from brands with a target audience of women and brands with a target audience of men. Issues like racism are treated differently in magazines with different genders for the target audience. In Oprah, which is targeted towards women, they have never had a cover without Oprah on it. Breonna Taylor, an African American who was unjustly killed by police in her own home, was the first person to be featured on the cover of Oprah magazine; it was a picture of her face. In contrast, in the Men’s Health magazine, they used large, bold lettering, directly stating the struggles of racism in America. This noticeable difference in presenting the same issue is that by societal standards, men have always learned to be bolder and more direct, while women have been taught to stay quieter and conceal their frustration.
I am still leaning towards a film for my portfolio project, though. I can convey more of my message in a film through lighting, camera shots, and the sound. I also like how I can create more of a story and preview the plot with the film, while in the magazine it is only one article that you are telling a simple narrative.
Comments
Post a Comment